Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"Love"ly Thoughts - Day 9 - Loved From the Start

"For it was You who created my inward parts; You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful,and I know this very well." - Psalm 139: 13-14


I've wrestled with this all day, but if I'm being true to God's call on my life, I have to address this issue today. 
Today of all days. 

January 22, 2013 - 40 years ago today, our Supreme court made abortion on demand legal in our country. 
No matter what side of this issue you fall on, we've all seen the statistics. Read the news articles, heard the rhetoric. 
Everyone has something to say. Even if they never say it. It's impossible to not have an opinion on life or death, because they define our existence. 

The politicians and the activists and the clinics and the medical professionals and the protesters and the counselors and the churches all have something to say. And depending on where our personal feelings lie is usually where we lend our ear. To hear those who affirm our stance. 

In my 48 years of life on this earth, my own feelings on abortion have changed dramatically. 
Having my daughter and becoming a Christian 4 months afterward were my watershed moments and I had to choose to believe God and the truth of His word - or not. 

The truth is that we are loved from the start - we are remarkably and wonderfully made. 
We are created in His image.
We are God's dearly loved children and are encouraged to imitate Him.
We are loved with an everlasting love. 

The Bible tells us "You shall not kill.". 
It tells us to Love God with all our heart, mind and soul and to Love others as we love ourselves. 

I'm a pretty simple person. I know that life is full of gray areas, and I'm usually the one to try and see all sides of an issue, but this is a pretty simple issue to me now. 
Either it's life, or it's not. 
If God created us the same way He creates life today, and He never changes, then how do we choose to believe that life is a gray area? 
If God is who He says He is, then who are we, the created ones, to question His authority?

I have learned not to. 
Because He is sovereign. 
And I am not.

My life has been a journey from one extreme to the other with a whole lot of gray in between. 
And I know that if I'd believed the truth about the vastness of God's love for me at the start of my journey, my roads would have traveled in a far different direction than they did.

Someday, I'll share my whole story with you. We all have one, all different, all with gray areas. It's the gray areas that God uses to mold us and shape us and bring us to the place where He can use us for His glory. 
So, because of that, I'm grateful for my gray. 

Many hearts are wounded and hurting across our nation today - so many silent voices - living and unborn. As we mark another year of this momentous decision, I pray for all whose lives have been affected by it - on both sides. 
Because in the end, we are all God's children. And we are all dearly loved. 


"This is how we know that we love God’s children when we love God and obey His commands." - 1 John 5:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage comments provided they are respectful to all. A respectful exchange of ideas is a good thing so tell me what's on your heart too. I reserve the right to not publish any comment containing crude or offensive language or any that would disparage someone else.