Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Love"ly Thoughts - Day 10 - Lavish Love

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" - 1 John 3:1



It was really, really cold here today in Virginia. Rarely does the temperature get down into those low, low numbers on the thermometer - but we woke up to 10 degrees today. 
Brrr.....

By contrast, even though I was physically cold all day, I was completely warm on the inside. 
My heart was full. Full of the lavish love of God and of His Son, Jesus Christ. 

There was nothing notable about this day, nothing exceptional. 
Except for the exceptional LOVE that leapt from the pages of my Bible as I read this morning. I love reading the words my Heavenly Father has written for me, for all of us. 
The Bible has been described as God's LOVE letter to us and the lavish depths of His LOVE for us are so evident with every turn of the page. 

One dictionary definition of lavish is this: to expend or give in great amounts or without limit
If that's not a clear picture of what God does, has done and will always do for us then I don't know how else to define it.

Are there times that you don't feel the Father's love? Are there times that you feel anything but lavished on? 
I know I've been through those times, we all have and if we're completely honest about it, we have only ourselves to blame. We are after all "children". His children, dearly loved, but children nonetheless. 
Children are disobedient, willful, stubborn, prideful, selfish.....need I go on? 
Those are the actions that leave us out in the cold, out of the warm embrace of God who wants only to lavish His love on us. 

I've promised myself that the next time I experience a cold snap on the inside, to remember to move back towards the source of warmth that never fails us - and be lavished as only He can do. 

 With a Courageous Heart, 
~~Robin

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the song...

    "How deep the Father's love for us,
    How vast beyond all measure
    That He should give His only Son
    To make a wretch His treasure."

    Really boggles the mind when you think of the depth and completeness of His love for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, that was exactly the song that was running though my mind as I wrote this. Love that you thought of it too!

      Delete

I welcome and encourage comments provided they are respectful to all. A respectful exchange of ideas is a good thing so tell me what's on your heart too. I reserve the right to not publish any comment containing crude or offensive language or any that would disparage someone else.