Thursday, January 17, 2013

"Love"ly Thoughts - Day 4 - I Am the Clay

" Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." - Philippians 4:8

"As the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand." - Jeremiah 18:6b
It's days like today that remind me that I am most definitely still clay in the potter's hand. Still being formed, shaped, molded into more of Christ's likeness. 

These days leading up to Valentine's Day I've dedicated to writing about love in 32 different ways we find in the Bible. 
"Love"ly Thoughts. 
Ya know, it sounded really good at the time - (Lord, I'm doing what you asked of me, but I'm having a hard time today following through.). 

So, what happens when you have a day that seems to be full of un-lovely thoughts? 

I began my day in God's word, reading from Philippians, one of my favorite books. 
I read a chapter from a John Piper book I'm enjoying and I even journaled. 
You'd think I'd have my batteries recharged pretty good to get me through the day, right? 

Umm, not so much. 
It's been hard to stay focused on good stuff today - I've been assaulted by the negative at every turn and I know you can relate - that's really tough to take. 
And yes, it can happen even when you started your day right where you're supposed to. 

So, what's a girl to do? 

Well, one of the beautiful things about living a redeemed life is that we have only to remember what God has told us in His word. That's the whole point of reading His love letter to us - to store it in our hearts and heads so we can CHOOSE to recall it's truths when our thoughts turn to the negative. 

Our thought life is truly a CHOICE - and yes, what we dwell on completely affects our direction and disposition. 
Believe it. 

Today, when I was angered, frustrated and irritated at the things that crossed my path, I wish I could tell you that I immediately turned to "what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely". 
I didn't. 

But the good news is that when I got a grip - I remembered these precious words from Philippians and the God who breathed them. 
And because He chose to LOVE me so very much, He just wrapped me up in His arms and whispered truth in my ear. 

There is nothing lovlier than that.   


With a Courageous Heart,
 ~~Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage comments provided they are respectful to all. A respectful exchange of ideas is a good thing so tell me what's on your heart too. I reserve the right to not publish any comment containing crude or offensive language or any that would disparage someone else.