Monday, June 17, 2013

A Good Parking Spot

"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people" - Colossians 1: 3-4


For a week now, the Lord has led me to the book of Colossians and parked me there.
See the picture? That's my spot, right there. Carved out for me on the crazy path that's my life.

I've been trying for a week to write a blog post about a particular topic that's eating at me. Something that the Lord brought to my heart and mind after reading a sweet comment from a friend.
And I found some beautiful truth in His word in Colossians that speaks right to the heart of the issue.

But here's the thing - apparently God has some other things for me to find here in this little, but oh, so significant book by the Apostle Paul.

- Such as being led to pray over a new Christ-follower in our church:
"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God" Colossians 1:9-10


- Such as being encouraged in my job as a paper crafts artist:
"For in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16


- Such as remembering where my help and strength comes from as I deal with all the upheaval in my life right now. Verse 11 in Chapter 1 has been burning in me this past week:
"being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience"

I think what I'm experiencing right now is the spiritual version of "Squirrel!"
Remember that crazy dog in the Disney movie "Up"?
The one that's so eager and willing to please until he sees the "squirrel"?
Remember?
 
Dug the Dog loses all sense of what he was focused on when he catches sight of the "squirrel". 
But the great part about my spiritual "squirrel" is that with each detour on the road to writing what's been laid on my heart to write, I'm LEARNING. 
Growing. 
Changing. 
And falling deeper and deeper into the truth of God's word. 

Just as Paul wrote this letter to the Colossian church to encourage them in their faith, so God is using it to encourage me. His word is so full of rich truth that even parking myself in just one small part of it for a while has yielded me a depth of insight from Him that passes any expectation I had.

I know that the original reason I was led to Colossians will eventually come out here and I eagerly wait for God to speak to me about what He wants to communicate. In the meantime though, I'm gonna just rest awhile in the other amazing truths He's revealing. 
It's a good parking spot and for now, I'm not ready to give it up. 

With a Courageous Heart, 
~~Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage comments provided they are respectful to all. A respectful exchange of ideas is a good thing so tell me what's on your heart too. I reserve the right to not publish any comment containing crude or offensive language or any that would disparage someone else.